Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A weekend with the niece and nephew

Two weekends ago, Patrick and I had our niece (Aly who is 4) and nephew (Eric who is 8) visit us from Phoenix. There were no parents involved, Patrick and I were on our own. We knew that the activities and the pace would be different than we were used to, and we hoped that there wouldn't be any fights over food or bedtime. Aly and Eric did great! (and we did great too...)
Patrick kicked off the weekend with a balanced meal at Subway where Eric conned him into a coke, so when he got to Austin Eric was full of energy! We started off our Saturday with a balanced breakfast of Fruit Loops. (side note: I wasn't allowed sugar cereals as a kid, so I felt that I needed to provide this to Aly and Eric) After showers (including a little hiccup of getting soap in our eyes), we headed to Gattiland where the kids could be kids and so could we... I caught Patrick on a rollercoaster ride with Eric, and Aly was able to score some pink vampire teeth.

After lunch we headed to Toy Story 3 in 3D, which was fantastic. After staying in the cool for long enough, we headed out to Zilker Park to ride the Zephyr mini-train. Inside I was so excited because it's something that I've always wanted to do, but did not want to go on just as an adult. Aly and Eric were a perfect excuse for me to get to ride the train. However, just after boarding the train a very skinny man in a very small g-string walked by. Thankfully the kiddos, didn't notice because I wasn't ready to explain what "that" was.... We ended our evening trying to watch the bats fly out from the Congress bridge, but they decided to stay in. Eric got to see a couple of bats, but it surely didn't meet the expectations that Patrick and I had set up.
All in all it was a great visit, and we're so glad they were able to spend a weekend with us. Hopefully they'll make time to visit soon.

No comments: