Sunday, June 6, 2010

Oh May...

Last year May was exciting and challenging month for us, with my graduation and Patrick's job loss. This year's May did not disappoint....

The second week of May started with a bang. We had gotten home from our volleyball game, Patrick was asleep, and I had just finished my bath. I noticed that the bath water wouldn't drain, and I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. I left the water as is, and closed the door to give Patrick the signal not to use the bathroom. Instead he ran into the door in the middle of the night. The next morning we called the plumber, and it turns out that the previous owners had done a terrible do-it-yourself job on the sewage line. After discussions with the City of Austin, it was deemed that the issue was on our side, and we replaced the tie into the city ( which in our case was also our neighbor's tie in) and about a foot of our sewer line.

After the second week's drama, I know that we weren't prepared for a neighbor to report us for illegal watering of our yard. Thankfully it was just a warning, but to this day we cannot figure out who made the complaint (even with a personal call to the city).

Middle of the second week, I went into the garage to throw something in the trash bin to notice that the washer connection was spewing hot water. Another call to the plumber and we have new hot and cold water connections.

At this point we are joking about the only thing that could go wrong now was the water heater going out. Well, we shouldn't have joked about that. As we were leaving to go visit my aunt and uncle in Louisiana I noticed that there was water leaking out of the side of our house, and I just knew it was the water heater. I called my dad frantic, and asked what we should do. (by the way I have the best dad in the world!) He told us to turn off the water heater and the water to the house, and he would make a trip to Austin to replace it for us. Sure enough dad made his way down to Austin the next day, and he installed a new water heater for us. After he took out the water heater, we noticed that the whole bottom as corroded, so this had probably been going on for a while. We're lucky that we caught it when we did, and that my dad is super handy....

Hopefully next May will be less eventful...

No comments: