Sunday, June 6, 2010

Trip to Forest Hill, LA

About twice a year, we try to make a trip to Forest Hill, LA to visit my aunt and uncle. These trips are always relaxing and filled with going to get plants at the local nursery and great food. Luckily this year, we received (as a joke) an Obama figurine. My dad had already played a joke on his brother (my uncle) by giving him an Obama calendar for Christmas, so we knew this figurine was going to come in very handy for this trip.

We weren't quite sure how we were going to use it, but knew it needed to be packed for this trip. I asked my cousin Sammy where we should put it. We wanted to put it some where it would blend, yet not belong. Lucky for us, my aunt has a case that she keeps nick-nacks from trips, so I casually opened the case and placed Mr. Obama in...


As you can see, he fit right in with the crystal. I acted like I was inspecting the case right before breakfast and asked my uncle if they had picked up a new item on their last trip. His response was that they hadn't, and he asked me what I was looking at. I pointed out their new addition, and they laughed and laughed but didn't take him out.
Patrick and I left to come back to Austin, and my uncle reported back to my dad the nasty trick we had played on them. My uncle then told my dad that they had forgotten about the new addition, and my aunt had the ladies from Calvary Baptist Church (where they have members for years) over for dinner later in the week. One of the ladies, who knew my aunt very well, pointed out Mr. Obama, and asked why he was in there. Knowing very well that they were in no way advocates. My aunt was so embarrassed that she couldn't back track and get her story straight about our joke.
Thanks to Jenny, Luc, and Jack for providing this figurine and hours of entertainment for all of us...

No comments: