Friday, November 28, 2008

Kim's thoughts on Pre-Christmas festivities

Because the big day is just around the corner, we had to prepare a little earlier than usual for the Christmas holiday. In my family we have always cut down a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving (usually right before the Texas A&M game). This year was a little different, since the wedding is the weekend after Thanksgiving, we had to start decorating before Thanksgiving.

Patrick knew how important having a live Christmas tree was to me, so he called the Christmas tree farm to see if they would let us come out a week before they open on Thanksgiving weekend. They family that owns the farm was nice enough to open their business a week earlier than usual so that we could all get our Christmas trees. So last weekend, Patrick, my dad, and our friend Lucas all went to the Christmas tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree and my parents' tree, while we had a wedding shower at the house.

After both sets of parents left on Sunday, it was time to venture into the attic to get the boxes for the Thanksgiving decorations down and the Christmas decorations down. After about the eighth Rubbermaid tub, I could tell that Patrick was slightly frustrated, since he asked how many Christmas decorations did we need in our little 1300 square foot house. Thank goodness there was just one more!

We pulled all the bins into the house, and Patrick and I agreed that we could only decorate the tree before Thanksgiving, and all other decorations around the house needed to wait until after Thanksgiving. So I went about decorating the Christmas tree, and I heard Patrick rustling through the storage bins. When I turned around I saw that Patrick had pulled out Christmas decorations for the house, and arranged them as he saw fit. This was Patrick's way of decorating (note that this is a set of three letters that should spell J-O-Y, but Patrick thought this fit better). Everyone always said that there is an adjustment period when you move in together, but this just made me laugh. Patrick took the "Yo" down, and is still trying to find a place for the J-O-Y around the house.

No comments: