Saturday, November 14, 2009

Things you won't hear in the U.S....

Having conversations with many different people over here from taxi drivers to co-workers, I've run into the following phrases/things that you won't hear or see in the U.S. (some have taken me a little off guard):
  • Having some cracks. (I think it's actually spelled craigh, but with the Irish accent it's hard to tell)= translation- having a couple of laughs. You have no idea what was running through my head when I heard this one....
  • Drinking Budweiser or Miller Light on ice - really... it's cold over here and these folks put beer on ice.
  • The ladies get really dressed up to go to the pubs (and there really is at a minimum one pub per block). Short dresses, no tights, heels.... Again... crazy it's too cold for that
  • The art of pouring a Guinness. The bar tender poured the beer, and like any good American my co-worker grabbed it instantly. However we learned that you must let Guinness settle, then tip it backwards and top it off. (my co-worker almost had his hand slapped by the bar tender for this behavior)
  • The use of "Ye" in conversation- yes it's used in everyday conversation. "I'll be sure to get back to 'ye' in the morn"

I'm half way through my time here, so I'm sure I'll have more to add to the list by the end of the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh you know the way all Oirish people have opinions, and don't mind sharing them????? ok, so the correct expression is "having the craic", a slang gaelic way of saying "having fun" :) another expression used often in rural Ireland is "mighty craic altogether".... your Oirish friend!!!